From the www.tcu.gov.on.ca LBS overview:
The Ontario Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) program helps adults in Ontario to develop and apply communication, numeracy, interpersonal and digital skills to achieve their goals. The LBS program serves learners who have goals to successfully transition to employment, post-secondary, apprenticeship, secondary school, and increased independence. The program includes learners who may have a range of barriers to learning.
Who Can Participate?
The LBS Program is available to Ontario residents who are out of school and communicate in English or French. Special emphasis is placed on serving individuals who are receiving social assistance through Ontario Works. Services are free, and are offered on-site at approximately 340 locations across the province, in directed and self-directed format, and online through e-Channel service delivery.
The Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) program serves adult learners:
- who are Ontario residents;
- whose literacy and basic skills are assessed at intake as being less than the end of Level 3 of the International Adult Literacy and Skills Survey (IALSS) or the OALCF;
- who are at least 19 years old. On an exception only basis, LBS service providers may serve young adults between ages 16 to 18 who demonstrate the maturity to benefit from adult education. However, returning to the regular school system should be the priority for these learners; and
- who are proficient enough in speaking and listening to benefit fully from the language of LBS instruction (English or French). This eligibility requirement does not apply to Deaf learners.
To ensure that the literacy needs of learners from different linguistic and cultural backgrounds are addressed, LBS services support programming for Deaf, Anglophone, Francophone and Aboriginal learners.
Finding your local LBS provider:
- Open your browser and go to http://www.211ontario.ca/
- Click on “Employment/Training”
- Enter your town name or Postal Code
- Then scroll down and click on “Adult Literacy”
- Your results will load. But, if nothing is there click on the circular radio button beside “serving my community”. Interestingly, we will be on that list.