Life skills. What are life skills?
“Life skills” have been defined by the World Health Organization (WHO) as “abilities for adaptive and positive behavior that enable individuals to deal effectively with the demands and challenges of everyday life”. Dictionary.com defines “life skills” as: “the ability to cope with stresses and challenges of daily life, esp. skills in communication and literacy, decision-making, occupational requirements, problem-solving, time management and planning.” Even Google has a different definition for “life skill“: “a skill that is necessary or desirable for full participation in everyday life.”
So whatever life skills are you have them, and maybe don’t know them all, or are weak in some areas. Challenges and chances to strengthen and develop life skills happen every day whether you notice them or not. If you get frustrated with something or someone, maybe you need to develop a skill to deal with that situation. But since since you cannot completely control every situation, or even affect it, sometimes you just have to let it go. Even that is another life skill.
But in any case, you can think of life skills like toy building blocks and these blocks are bits of you, or something you aspire to be. I’ve certainly noticed that the more toy blocks I have, the more fun I have with my life. So, get building.
Kids Life Skills Games:
- e-Learning for Kids, for Kindergarten to Grade 6+
- It’s My Life by PBS Kids
- Life Skills Games & Activities
Links for young adults:
- Life skills all teens should have before graduating from high school
- Top 10 Life Skills Your Teen Needs to Be Independent
- It’s My Move’s Life Skills Training/Support Materials, a TON of links to books for developing groups of skills. Worth visiting.
- Pinterest’s “Teen Life Skills” page
Links for adults and further reading:
- Art of Manliness’ “Heading out on your own, 31 Basic Life Skills in 31 Days” 31-post series
- Life Skills Handbooks
- 40 Survival Skills You and Your Kids Need to Know
- The Wilderness Survival Skills Everyone Should Know
- Emergency Preparedness Training: 27 Essential Preparedness Tips, Skills and Resources
Today is Morse Code Day, National Tiara Day, and Brother’s Day.
Tomorrow is Cookie Monster’s birthday. (Actually, Frank Oz’s birthday) and World MS Day.